“It was awful. … I honestly thought I was dying.” - Young, healthy COVID-19 patient talks of illness, hospitalizationUPDATED 8:30 P.M. TO INCLUDE PATIENT'S NAME “I just hope people do take it serious, because I was one of those that wasn’t taking it very serious and it almost cost me everything.” Those are the words of the first person in Butler County to test positive for COVID-19. A healthy man in his 30s, he watched his child crawl for the first time through video chat while hospitalized for the condition...
Area schools extend COVID-19 breakArea schools made the decision to extend students’ time out of school past the original April 6 return date. Southeast Missouri superintendents had a conference call on Friday morning to discuss the possibility of extending the break caused by COVID-19...
COVID BRIEFING for March 31: After wait, test comes back positive for Butler County residentEditor's note: This is a daily briefing updating the latest information on the COVID-19 pandemic at 4 p.m. each day. Butler County officials are hopeful to speed up the testing process now that the county has seen a positive case of COVID-19...
Asian shares skid on virus worries, bleak BOJ surveyTOKYO (AP) - Asian shares mostly fell Wednesday, on continuing worries about the economic fallout from the pandemic as reports of coronavirus cases keep surging in various regions. Japan's benchmark Nikkei 225 dropped 4.5% to finish at 18,065.41. U.S. futures were lower, with the contracts for the S&P 500 and Dow industrials both down about 3%...
Armed suspect runs into Oglesville home, eludes authoritiesOGLESVILLE — Authorities believe an armed suspect who fled into a rural Butler County residence Tuesday morning escaped before a perimeter could be set up around the home. The home was found unoccupied when SWAT members from the Sikeston Department of Public Safety entered sometime after 3:15 p.m., said Butler County Sheriff Mark Dobbs. Entrance was made pursuant to a search warrant, he said...
Butler County primary field finalizedFiling for Butler County and statewide offices for the Aug. 4 primary election ended at 5 p.m. Tuesday, and 12 of them include multiple candidates. Races for three county offices from Butler County will be contested, according to county clerk Tonyi Deffendall, as will three township primaries and one Poplar Bluff position...
Stoddard County primary election field set> Three Stoddard County incumbents will receive challenges in the upcoming Aug. 4 primary election. > The fields were finalized at 5 p.m. Tuesday, as the filing period ended. > Republican Tim McCoy is challenging Republican incumbent Carl Hefner for sheriff, Republican incumbent Steve W. Jordan and J.W. Mattingly will battle for first district commissioner and Republican incumbent Carol Jarrell, Jeff Riddle and Willard Adams will vie to become second district commissioner...
DNR to temporarily close five parks because of overcrowdingJEFFERSON CITY — Out of an abundance of caution and in response to recent events, Missouri State Parks will modify operations at five state parks to address overcrowding and concerns regarding public safety. The modifications, including the temporary closure of four of Missouri’s state parks and partial closure of one additional park, go into effect at 5 p.m. Thursday, April 2, and are scheduled to continue until April 30...
Williams Lions Club donates to meal program
Butler County resident positive for COVID-19Butler County has had a resident test positive for COVID-19, according to a release shortly after 11 a.m. by the Butler County Health Department. This is the first COVID-19 diagnosis among Butler County residents. No additional information was released in the notification, which went out via the health department's app...
EmploymentSales Person needed. base pay + commission. Internet marketing and sales calls for hand sanitizer, face masks & etc. (573)413-3340
Apartments - Unfurnished1 Bedroom, Harviell Area. Large Kitchen, living room, and yard. Yard service included. no pets, references checked. $300 rent/deposit or $450 w/utilities paid. (573)413-3340
Pets5 week old kittens, 2 white, Free to good home. (573)429-3065
Livestock10 Month old Registered Black Angus Bull $800 (573)996-5255
Story Time - Mr. Wrinkles
- 2019-20 SEMO Conference all-conference girls basketball awards released (3/31/20)The 2019-20 SEMO Conference all-conference girls basketball awards have been released. Poplar Bluff senior Kiley Bess is the SEMO Conference Girls Basketball Player of the Year. Bess, who has signed to play basketball at St. Louis University, led the conference in scoring with 166 points in regular-season conference action. She averaged a team-high 24 points per conference game...
- A's minor league manager on ventilator due to coronavirus
- 6-man rotations? Piggybacking starters? Pitching, post virus
- Durant, Young highlight players-only NBA 2K tourney on ESPN
- O's slugger Davis expects return to spring form after return
- Noted doctor Andrews temporarily halts Tommy John surgeries
- This Date in Baseball
- AP exclusive: MLB vets get $4,775 daily during virus outset
Headlines from Semoball.com
2019-20 SEMO Conference all-conference girls basketball awards released (3/31/20)The 2019-20 SEMO Conference all-conference girls basketball awards have been released. Poplar Bluff senior Kiley Bess is the SEMO Conference Girls Basketball Player of the Year. Bess, who has signed to play basketball at St. Louis University, led the conference in scoring with 166 points in regular-season conference action. She averaged a team-high 24 points per conference game...
2019-20 SEMO Conference all-conference boys basketball awards released (3/30/20)The 2019-2020 SEMO Conference all-conference boys basketball awards have been released. Sikeston senior Payton Howard is the SEMO Conference Boys Basketball Player of the Year. Howard, who has signed to play baseball at St. Louis University, led the conference in scoring with 175 points in regular-season conference action. He averaged 22 points per conference game...
The year Southeast lost the links (3/29/20)Carroll Williams is wistful about his long tenure as head coach of the Southeast men’s golf program, ended by the university’s board of regents 15 years ago this spring. “All told, I coached golf at SEMO for 30 years,” Williams said. Williams, 82, is principal of Cape Christian Community School these days, which will be absorbed July 1 by Lynwood Christian Academy...
Poplar Bluff's Kiley Bess earns all-state honors (3/28/20)By BRIAN ROSENER Staff Writer Kiley Bess knocked down a shot in the closing seconds of the state quarterfinal two weeks ago. It ended up being one of the very last baskets of a shortened postseason. Poplar Bluff’s season ended with a 44-33 loss to Kirkwood in the MSHSAA Class 5 playoffs, that were later canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic...
- Aries Horoscope Apr 1 2020
- Taurus Horoscope Apr 1 2020
- Gemini Horoscope Apr 1 2020
- Cancer Horoscope Apr 1 2020
- Leo Horoscope Apr 1 2020
- Virgo Horoscope Apr 1 2020
- Libra Horoscope Apr 1 2020
- Scorpio Horoscope Apr 1 2020
- Sagittarius Horoscope Apr 1 2020
- Capricorn Horoscope Apr 1 2020
- Aquarius Horoscope Apr 1 2020
- Pisces Horoscope Apr 1 2020
April 18, 2020 for 04/18/2020Dear Annie: My children's grandmother passed away a few weeks ago after a long battle with Alzheimer's. Her children decided to have a service in the northeast where her husband is buried and where they all grew up. None of them lives anywhere near that area. I live 1,200 miles away. I was very...
In Your Community
- Corps of Engineers campgrounds to stay closed longer
- New effort would damage Missouri Dept. of Conservation
- President Trump’s leadership on coronavirus averts disaster
- School districts offer meals during closure
- Neelyville Elementary announces students of the month for March
- Greenville Junior High School names March students of the month
- Local students graduate from Missouri State University
- Working to maintain the virtue of hope
Melvin HeatonMelvin Heaton, 71, of Williamsville, died Sunday, March 29, 2020. Visitation will be at 1 p.m,...
Allen SpradlingAllen Spradling Loren Allen Spradling, 61, of Poplar Bluff, died Sunday, March 29, 2020. He was...
Justin Lee WilsonJustin Lee Wilson, 34, of Poplar Bluff,Mo., passed away March 27, 2020 at his home in Poplar...
Thomas Haynes BurrisThomas Haynes Burris,79, son of the late Wylie Franklin Burris and Georgia Faye Hamby Burris was...
James Theodore Becker,James Theodore Becker, a well-known Wayne County farmer and community leader, died at the family...
Wilma KenserWilma Belle Kenser, 93, who last made her home at Serenity Assisted Living, East Peoria, Ill.,...
Notice CollinsSTATE OF MISSOURI ) )SS COUNTY OF BUTLER ) IN THE...
DNR extends time for vehicle emissions testingJEFFERSON CITY — To help motorists deal with some...
Early detection of alzheimer's online class offered freeThe Importance of Early Detection of Alzheimer’s ...
Special meeting of PB city council scheduled for March 30The City Council of Poplar Bluff has scheduled a...
Job Center staff working behind closed doorsEven though the Poplar Bluff and West Plains Job...
Stoddard County F closed for pipe replacementStoddard County F closed for pipe replacement...
Amended TottensAMENDED NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE Default having...
Trustees GoodTRUSTEE’S SALE IN RE: Pamela Good AKA Pamela...
- Poplar Bluff Regional Medical Center treating two positive cases; patients are not from Butler County
- PBRMC announces no visitors allowed starting Wednesday, with limited exceptions
- Butler County Coroner investigates possible COVID-19 death
- Stoddard County order limits social contact
- COVID BRIEFING for March 29: Positives to be reported to county of residence
- Boat does doughnuts after hitting wave, throws man overboard
- Shop sells 'hundreds' of doughnuts starring Dr. Fauci's face
- Customers cheer after woman gives birth at Missouri Walmart
- Psych evaluation ordered for man who sought trial by combat
- It's cloudy with a chance of iron rain at hot, faraway world