State-ranked Bernie routs always solid Oran squad 73-48BERNIE ó The state-ranked Bernie Mules recorded their second-most lopsided victory ever against perennial power Oran on Monday night at Bernie High School. The Mules, the eighth-ranked team in the Missouri Class 2 coaches poll, took control over the middle two quarters to beat Oran 73-48 for their biggest victory since beating Oran 69-33 in a Class 2 district tournament in 2009...
Fast start to second half pushes Poplar Bluff past NaylorIn the opening two minutes of the second half, the Poplar Bluff girls basketball team turned a tight five-point game into a double-digit lead Monday night. The Mules opened the second half with a 10-2 run and never let Naylor back in it for a 55-41 win at the Senior High Gym...
Raiders down MSU-West PlainsPOPLAR BLUFF Ė The Three Rivers men's basketball team continues to roll in "revenge week" as the Raiders handed Missouri State-West Plains a 72-57 setback at the Libla Family Sports Complex on Monday night. In the last meeting between these two teams, the Raiders dropped the game 77-75 on a buzzer-beater back on Dec. 1 in West Plains, but just like Three Rivers' previous two games against Mineral Area and Motlow State, the Raiders were able to win by more than 20 points...
Nimmo, Robinson spark state-ranked Bernie's 67-63 victory over SCAA rival Dexter (1/15/22)DEXTER ó The state-ranked Bernie Mules recorded a big rivalry win, even though one of their biggest offensive weapons was off target. The Mules, who are ranked No. 8 in the most recent Missouri Basketball Coaches Association Class 2 poll, struggled from the perimeter but found a way to beat Dexter 67-63 in the longtime rivalsí 150th meeting...
Wrestling roundup for Jan. 15: Poplar Bluff boys win St. Charles Invitational (1/15/22)ST. CHARLES, Mo. ó Logan Ringstaff won the heavyweight division while four more Poplar Bluff wrestlers reached the championship match at the St. Charles Invitational on Saturday as the Mules won the team title. Gatlin Taylor, Justin Mitchell, Austin Stoner and Desmond Howell each placed second in their division while Lucas Robertson, Jakob Hopkins, Logan Hite and Dace Wisdom all placed third for the Mules. Kurt Russon finished fifth while Daine Dugas was sixth...
Late push helps East Carter fend off Van Buren, reel in Fish Trophy (1/14/22)VAN BUREN ó The Fish Trophy will again be spending the next year on the east side of Carter County. Preston Turner scored 17 of his game-high 28 points in the fourth quarter to lead East Carter past their feisty cross-county rivals. The Redbirds held off Van Buren 49-42 in the 39th edition of the Yellow Sucker Game on†Friday night...
Bearcats use late 12-0 run to finish off sharp-shooting Neelyville 72-58 (1/14/22)DEXTER ó The Dexter Bearcats put it all together in the second half and used a late 12-0 run to finish rival Neelyville 72-58 Thursday night at the Bearcat Event Center. The Bearcats produced their second-highest point total in a game this season, shot 54% (27-for-50) from the field and received balanced scoring to win their third-straight game and reach the 10-win mark for the first time since the 2018-19 season...
King, Ellington fend off Poplar Bluff in fourth quarter (1/14/22)When they needed it most, the Ellington girls basketball team found their beat Thursday night to hold off Poplar Bluff. Kaylee King scored nine points and assisted on two late buckets as the Whippets won 51-41 at the Senior High Gym. ďWe couldnít get in our rhythm, we couldnít do anything we like to do on offense tonight,Ē Ellington coach David Burrows said...
39th Yellow Sucker Game: East Carter at Van Buren
Wrestling: Kennett, Notre Dame at Poplar Bluff
Wrestling: Sikeston boys, Jackson girls at Poplar Bluff
Lady Royals Christmas Classic - Finals
Lady Royals Christmas Classic - Quarterfinals
Lady Dawg Classic at Van Buren
C5D1 football semifinal: Poplar Bluff at Seckman
Softball: East Carter vs. St. Elizabeth C1 third place
Softball: Perryville Class 3 state final four
Softball: East Carter vs. Maysville C1 semifinal
Archery deer, turkey seasons wrap up SaturdaySaturday is the last day of Missouriís archery deer and turkey season, the second-longest season of the year behind the one for squirrels. Statistically, itís been the third-best archery deer season in the stateís history, with the record set last year and the second-highest harvest the year before...
Alternative methods deer harvest lowest since 2006Missouriís alternative methods deer season, the final firearms season of the fall/winter of 2021-22, wrapped up Tuesday. Statewide, hunters managed to bring home 9,965 deer, which is roughly a third less than the 14,623 (adjusted total in the off-season) they took during the same season a year ago...
Alternative methods deer harvest far below normalMissouriís alternative methods season deer hunters look to be having a tough go of it. At least thatís what the harvest numbers are saying. At around the mid-point in the season, hunters statewide have taken only 2,692 deer as of Wednesday morning. Thatís well less than half the 5,950 they had killed at the same point in last yearís season, and if they are going to match the 2020 season total of 14,555 deer, something drastic is going to have to happen soon...
Alternative methods deer season opens Christmas DayMissouriís final firearms deer season of the year, the alternative methods portion, opens Christmas Day. For those who didnít get a chance to take a deer in the November season, or who elected to pass what they did see, this is the last chance to pull the trigger until next fall...
Schenn, Barbashev score twice in Blues' 5-3 win over Preds (1/17/22)ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Brayden Schenn and Ivan Barbashev each had two goals and two assists as the St. Louis Blues came from behind to beat the Nashville Predators 5-3 on Monday night. Ryan O'Reilly added a goal and two assists in the first meeting between the teams since they played back-to-back games in February 2020. St. Louis' victory left the clubs tied for second place in the Central Division with 51 points apiece...
Mikheyev scores with 3:15 left to lift Leafs past Blues 6-5 (1/15/22)ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Ilya Mikheyev scored the go-ahead goal with 3:15 remaining, lifting the Toronto Maple Leafs to a 6-5 victory over St. Louis on Saturday night. Timothy Liljegren, Mitch Marner, Auston Matthews, John Tavares and Michael Bunting also scored for Toronto...
Thomas, Buchenvich score, Blues come back to beat Kraken 2-1 (1/13/22)ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Robert Thomas and Pavel Buchnevich scored in the third period as the St. Louis Blues came back to beat the Seattle Kraken 2-1 on Thursday night. Ville Husso made 31 saves and the Blues extended their home point streak to 13 games, dating to Nov. 18. It is the third-longest stretch in franchise history...
FROM THE AP WIRE
- Athletes Unlimited has 11 WNBA players on basketball roster
- Biggest golf tours back in action from Hawaii to Middle East
- Analysis: Dak Prescott hands it to all the wrong people
- Andy Murray wins in Australia for 1st time since 2017
- The Latest: US Open champion Raducanu beats Sloane Stephens
- Dr. J on NBA life in 1980s: Standing on shoulders of giants
- Morikawa back in Middle East to start Race to Dubai defense
- Penguins score 5 unanswered goals to rally past Vegas 5-3
- Virus, injuries, standings all factor in NBA trade deadline
- No. 2 Auburn gets showdown with No. 12 Kentucky
- LeBron scores 25 as Lakers end three-game skid, beat Jazz
- Timo Meier scores 5 goals for Sharks in 6-2 win over Kings
- Trammell carries Seattle past California Baptist 92-85 in OT
- Stafford propels Rams past Cardinals 34-11 in playoff rout
- The AP Interview: Exiled artist Ai Weiwei on Beijing Games
- Booker's season-high 48 helps Suns rally past Spurs 121-107
- Williams scores 20 to lead UNLV past San Jose St. 81-56
- Florida A&M beats Mississippi Valley St. 78-70
- Brady, Buccaneers extend playoff winning streak to 5 games
- Booker scores 48 points in Suns' MLK Day win over Spurs
- Cards' Baker evaluated for concussion following collision
- Northern Arizona defeats Idaho 74-72
- McCollum returns, scores 16 points in Blazers' 98-88 win
- Smith scores 23 to carry Denver over Kansas City 63-55
- Bam back, Butler gets triple-double, Heat top Raptors 104-99
- Ike lifts Wyoming over Nevada 77-67
- Hawks rally to beat Bucks 121-114, snap 10-game home skid
- Jossell leads Stephen F. Austin over Lamar 86-78
- Youngblood lifts Kennesaw St. over North Florida 62-60
- Painter carries Delaware past Northeastern 82-76 in OT
- Thomas lifts Sacred Heart over Central Connecticut 74-66
- No. 13 Georgia women hand Missouri first loss at home, 72-62
- Oregon beats UConn for another top 10 win
- Kirkwood scores 24 to carry Harvard past Dartmouth 60-59
- McKinnis leads Jackson State over Texas Southern 61-58
- Haase carries Mercer past The Citadel 71-64
- Morales carries Wagner over Fairleigh Dickinson 95-64
- Murphy lifts Belmont past SIU-Edwardsville 80-64
- NHL pioneer O'Ree says having Bruins retire jersey an honor
- Douglas carries Prairie View over Alcorn State 74-73
- Purdue Fort Wayne routs Michigan-Dearborn 102-59
- Nets' star Irving steadfast on vaccine despite Durant injury
- Meier scores franchise-record 5 goals as Sharks rout Kings
- Paopao, Oregon beat another top-10 foe, bumping No. 9 UConn
- Yale hangs on for 66-63 win over Brown
- Bryant lifts Norfolk State over UMES 72-58
- Clark scores 21 to lead La Salle past Saint Joseph's 75-64
- Wooten scores 23 to lead Elon over James Madison 90-67
- Djokovic's deportation exposes Australian border debate
- Marshall leads Tennessee State over Tennessee Tech 80-64