MAC connects behind arc to sink Raiders (1/30/23)The Three Rivers men’s team has been slowly finding its mojo since the beginning of 2023, but the visiting Cardinals made all the right moves in finding their way to a relatively easy 79-65 victory Saturday night at the Libla Family Sports Complex. The Raiders were outshot from behind the 3-point line (13 makes to five) while making eight more free throws to account for essentially the difference in the contest...
Lady Raiders take their revenge on MAC (1/30/23)In November, qthe historic regular season win streak by the Three Rivers Lady Raiders women’s basketball team dating back to 2020 came to an end at the hands of Mineral Area College. On Saturday, the nation’s 15th-ranked team had a chance at payback when the Lady Cardinals came to Poplar Bluff...
Mules battle with Kentucky power before fading late (1/30/23)PADUCAH, Ky. — The Poplar Bluff Mules boys basketball team was able to go toe-to-toe with one of the top teams in Kentucky for almost 23 minutes over the weekend. The Mules trailed western Kentucky power McCracken County by just three points at halftime — and just seven with under a minute left in the third quarter — but could not sustain that momentum after the intermission in an 84-64 loss Saturday night...
Epps has Doniphan girls rolling yet again (1/29/23)The Doniphan High School girl’s basketball squad has learned a lot over the four-plus seasons that Adam Epps has been leading it.
THE BURNING QUESTION: Why not eight-man football? (1/28/23)3Gridiron football is the top sport in America, if nowhere else on the planet. It is fronted by the National Football League with games littered throughout the calendar almost daily from August through February, or so it seems. The college game generates regionalism and fans of 3-9 teams claim greatness because their better neighbor makes them look better...
Westwood Baptist Eagles roll to big win over TJS (1/28/23)The Westwood Baptist Eagles boys basketball team took the court Friday with one goal in mind: to dominate its opponent, Thomas Jefferson of St. Louis. And dominate they did, as they dismantled TJS with a crushing 69-19 victory. The Westwood Baptist boys were on a mission from the start, with Ben Jones leading the charge with a game-high 21 points, followed closely by James Hawley with 20 points...
Royals get homecoming win over East Carter (1/28/23)BROSELEY — Homecoming meant a little more to Twin Rivers Friday night if only for the big reason of trying to leverage the Royals into a better seed for the upcoming Ozark Foothills Conference tournament. Of course, visiting East Carter also had designs of bigger and better as the two OFC rivals went toe-to-toe for four riveting quarters in front of a packed house...
Donettes dynamite as they roll to big win at Twin Rivers (1/27/23)BROSELEY — The Doniphan Donettes know what’s at stake this year and in their search for girls basketball state hardware, they are aware of one key ingredient in reaching that goal: Consistency. Regardless of who they play, Doniphan knows that good, bad, or great or poor the opponent must be vanquished and how it plays out must see the team play at a high level...
Morrissey, Scheifele lead Jets' rally in 4-2 win over Blues (1/30/23)WINNIPEG, Manitoba (AP) -- Josh Morrissey and Mark Scheifele each scored twice in the third period as the Winnipeg Jets rallied for a 4-2 win against the St. Louis Blues on Monday night. Saku Maenalanen and Kyle Connor each had two assists for the Jets, who snapped a three-game skid. Connor Hellebuyck stopped 24 shots...
Chip Caray follows grandpa's footsteps as voice of Cardinals (1/30/23)Longtime broadcaster Chip Caray is taking over as the television play-by-play voice of the St. Louis Cardinals, more than five decades after his grandfather and Hall of Fame broadcaster Harry Caray became a baseball staple with the same club. Bally Sports Midwest announced Caray's hiring in a statement Monday. The voice of the Atlanta Braves is replacing Dan McLaughlin, who left the Cardinals booth in December after 24 years following his third arrest for drunken driving...
Newhook scores on birthday, Avalanche beat Blues 4-2 (1/28/23)DENVER (AP) -- Alex Newhook scored on his birthday for the second straight season, and the Colorado Avalanche beat the St. Louis Blues 4-2 on Saturday for their seventh win in eight games. Evan Rodrigues, J.T. Compher and Matt Nieto also scored for the Avalanche, and Logan O'Connor had two assists. Alexandar Georgiev stopped 26 shots...
Schmaltz has hat trick to back Vejmelka in Coyotes' 5-0 win (1/26/23)TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- Nick Schmaltz had his first NHL hat trick, Karel Vejmelka made 33 saves for his third shutout of the season and the Arizona Coyotes beat the St. Louis Blues 5-0 on Thursday night. Schmaltz scored twice in a three-minute span midway through the second period, and scored again 13 seconds into the third period when his shot slid past the red line as one of the Blues knocked the goal off its moorings in a scramble in front of the net. The goal was confirmed after a review...
Thompson and Skinner drive Sabres past Blues, 5-3 (1/24/23)ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Tage Thompson and Jeff Skinner each had a goal and two assists as the Buffalo Sabres beat the St. Louis Blues 5-3 on Tuesday night. Thompson extended his point streak to five games, his third streak of five or more games this season. It was also his ninth game this season with three or more points...
DAR Sport Topics audio
FROM THE AP WIRE
- Irving leads Nets past Lakers 121-104 as James, Davis sit
- Lillard scores 42 as Trail Blazers hold off Hawks 129-125
- Rice, Allen lead No. 10 Texas over No. 11 Baylor 76-71
- Texas Tech rallies from 23 down, beats No. 13 Iowa St. in OT
- Bridges scores 29, Suns pull away late, beat Raptors 114-106
- Etienne propels Southern to 73-62 victory over Jackson State
- Doncic scores 53 in return, Mavericks beat Pistons 111-105
- Phillies, Harrison finalize $2 million, 1-year deal
- Fox, Lyles help Kings outlast Timberwolves 118-111 in OT
- Gardner leads No. 6 Virginia to 67-62 win over Syracuse
- Bates scores 15, Florida A&M defeats Alabama State 69-58
- Wood leads Howard to 100-74 romp over South Carolina State
- Curry has 38 points, 12 assists as Warriors top Thunder
- Wizards end 22-game skid in San Antonio, beat Spurs 127-106
- Irving has 26, Nets beat Lakers 121-104 as James, Davis sit
- Brewton helps Alcorn State hold off Grambling 63-60
- Marlins acquire reliever Matt Barnes in trade with Red Sox
- Banchero, Magic rally from early hole, beat 76ers 119-109
- Mayo leads South Dakota State over Kansas City 67-66
- Joe Mazzulla, Celtics staff will coach at NBA All-Star Game
- Dyson sparks Bethune-Cookman to 88-77 win over Alabama A&M
- Abmas scores 31, Oral Roberts routs South Dakota 103-53
- Robinson powers Delaware State past Coppin State 71-66
- Gardner, No. 6 Virginia win 7th straight, 67-62 over 'Cuse
- Tate guides Norfolk State over North Carolina Central 77-71
- Colgate beats Loyola Maryland 76-63, ups win streak to 11
- Cardet scores 21 as Chicago State edges The Citadel 76-75
- Hunter Renfroe, Angels in 1st arbitration hearing this year
- Morris scores 31 as unbeaten No. 3 LSU women top Lady Vols
- Meyers scores 24 to help No. 8 Maryland women top Penn State
- Brad Wilkerson becomes Yankees assistant hitting coach
- Morris' career-high 31 lifts No, 3 LSU over Tennessee, 76-68
- Islanders acquire Bo Horvat in trade with Canucks
- 49ers season derailed by QB injuries in NFC title game
- AP source: 49ers' Purdy has torn ligament in right elbow
- James' sore foot to be checked Tuesday to see about MSG game
- Turner finds security in new deal, Pacers add flexibility
- Judge denies LIV plea to expand discovery to Augusta members
- Georgia finding new hope in SEC under first-year coach White
- Louisville, L&N reach $41M stadium naming agreement
- No. 15 TCU without top scorer Miles because of knee injury
- Eagles' Super Bowl-bound Hurts still trying to quiet haters
- Burrow, Bengals falter but should stay among AFC contenders
- Chargers agree to hire Kellen Moore as offensive coordinator
- Chiefs survive Bengals, get 2 weeks to heal for Super Bowl
- MLB The Show '23 cover athlete is Marlins' Jazz Chisholm
- Hall of Famer Bobby Hull, the Golden Jet, dies at 84
- AP source: Royals agree with RHP Greinke on deal for 2023
- O'Day retires following 15 seasons for 6 major league teams
- Kraken Released: Surprising Seattle in thick of playoff race