East Carter advances to C1 quarterfinal as Moore fans 11 no-hitterELLSINORE — There was no rally needed this time for the Redbirds, but East Carter did manage to win with a walk-off hit Wednesday. Rylee O’Dell ended the game with no outs in the fifth on a hit over a crowded infield to drive in the final run of a 10-0 win over Norwood in the MSHSAA Class 1 sectional playoff...
State-ranked Hillsboro presents Poplar Bluff football team with final test before postseasonIt’s the final week of the regular season, meaning football coaches around Missouri are breaking out spreadsheets trying to figure out exactly who they will be playing next week. Poplar Bluff’s coaching staff has a pretty good idea of what to expect next week but they’re more focused on Friday night...
After comeback wins, East Carter softball returns to state playoffs hosting C1 sectional (10/20/21)Stuck in quarantine just as the softball season was starting, East Carter senior Jordan Moore was bored and wanted something to do. So she made a rally hat. The white hat lined with red feathers around the brim features a diamond logo with crossed bats and a ball. At first, it wasn’t very lucky...
Poplar Bluff softball team faces Parkway South in C5 quarterfinal Thursday (10/20/21)1After starting the district playoffs without their head coach, the Poplar Bluff softball team stuck around long enough for Joel McDuffey to return to the dugout. Then, they earned another home game by winning the MSHSAA Class 5 District 1 title. “I think we just found our groove and I think we’re just going to keep rolling,” said senior Ella Zgaynor after Monday’s 6-5 win over Notre Dame...
Poplar Bluff swimmers tie Farmington on lineup set by seniors (10/20/21)For their final home meet, Poplar Bluff’s three seniors — Kastin Caudel, Christian Todd and Gavin Vaughn — were given the assignment of making the team’s lineup. “It’s hard to get (right) when you got 12 people, you try to get them in the right things,” Vaughn said...
Mules fend off Notre Dame after Zgaynor's grand slam as Poplar Bluff wins C5D1 softball title (10/19/21)ARNOLD, Mo. — Ella Zgaynor slammed 16 years of frustration in the district playoffs for the Poplar Bluff softball team Monday. The senior’s two-out grand slam capped a third inning in which the Mules broke a tie on Emilee Cheek’s RBI hit while Clara Rahlmann kept the rally alive with an infield hit...
Redbirds rally late as East Carter tops Neelyville for C1D1 softball title (10/17/21)ELLSINORE — Elizabeth Crowley waited nearly two days to finish her at-bat with a runner at third base with the MSHSAA Class 1 District 1 championship tied. The East Carter senior was batting Thursday when rain suspended play with a 2-2 count. Crowley, who grounded out to the shortstop to end the top of the second when play resumed Saturday, had to wait again before stepping to the plate with the bases loaded in the sixth inning...
Poplar Bluff scores 35 unanswered points as Mules run away from Kennett (10/16/21)POPLAR BLUFF — Kannon Carr threw four touchdown passes and ran for another score as the Poplar Bluff football team turned big plays into a big home win Friday night. After a slow start in which Kennett extended a lead in the opening seconds of the second quarter, the Mules defense didn’t allow a point...
Softball: East Carter vs. Norwood C1 sectional playoff
Softball: Poplar Bluff vs. Notre Dame C5D1 championship
Softball: East Carter vs. Neelyville C1D1 championship
Football: Kennett at Poplar Bluff
C2D1 softball championship: Kelly vs. Greenville
Baseball: OFC Tournament championship
Baseball: OFC Tournament semifinals
Baseball: OFC Tournament quarterfinals
Football: Poplar Bluff at Cape Central
Softball: Kelly at Poplar Bluff
Ozark National Scenic Riverways seeks public input on proposed changes to recreation feesVAN BUREN — Ozark National Scenic Riverways is seeking public comment from Oct. 15 through Nov. 30 on proposed changes to camping fees and cave tour fees for the Round Spring Cave. Fee revenue is used to enhance visitor experience, maintain and improve facilities and services in the park and ensure visitors can continue to use and enjoy these areas into the future...
Archery harvest edging upward as weather coolsAs suspected, the drop in the temperature last weekend seemed to get a lot more bowhunters out into the woods, and the archery deer harvest reflected it. As of midday Wednesday, 106 deer had been arrowed in Butler County, while 214 had been taken in Carter County...
Stoner earns All-American honors for second timePoplar Bluff High School senior Austin Stoner has been on a roll lately, earning some prestigious honors and wins in trapshooting. For the second consecutive year, Stoner has been named an Amateur Trapshooting Association All-American. Stoner, who shoots for the high school team, is the first ever student from the school to receive All-American honors twice...
Archery, fall turkey seasons lagging badlyTo say the fall hunting seasons are off to a slow start might be the biggest understatement of the year. The teal season and dove opener were mediocre, and the archery and fall firearms turkey seasons are just as poor. I’m going to blame it on the weather. It’s been far warmer than it should be for early October, and that fact probably has kept a lot of folks out of the field...
Breckenridge, Cheatham win Bass Circuit ClassicThe Wappapello Bass Circuit Classic last weekend saw 73 teams take part, and after two full days of fishing, the winning margin was incredibly close. In the end, two ounces put the winning team on top. Breckenridge and Cheatham bested the field with a two-day total weight of 24.05 pounds. They were aided by the biggest bass of the event, which weighed 5.75 pounds. The pair earned $10,000 cash for its win, plus another $1,000 for the big bass award...
MDC to host black bear hunting virtual programJEFFERSON CITY — Four-hundred Missourians were drawn to participate in this year’s inaugural black bear hunt, slated to open Oct. 18. Those hunters were invited to attend special education programs to prepare for their hunt, but the Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) is now opening the educational opportunity to the public...
Angler's Choice season wraps upThirty-two teams fished last weekend’s season-ending Angler’s Choice tournament at Wappapello Lake. At the end of the day, the team of Paul Henderson and his son, Kason Henderson, topped the field with a five-fish limit of 17.02 pounds. For their efforts, the pair earned $1,630...
FROM THE AP WIRE
- No. 23 Pitt has a chance to prove itself against Clemson
- Realignment era: 6 C-USA schools leaving for American
- Sakkari, Halep advance in Moscow; Rublev ousted
- No. 22 Azetcs' top run defense faces Falcons' ground game
- No. 10 Oregon getting healthy just in time for trip to UCLA
- Washington St looks to improve after breaking losing streak
- No. 18 N.C. State's defense to present challenge for Miami
- Devils' Jack Hughes has dislocated left shoulder, no surgery
- Aggies look to improve to 8-0 in series with South Carolina
- New coach, similar expectations for Baylor women's hoops
- Army hosts No. 16 Wake Forest, looks to end 2-game skid
- With N'Faly Dante's return, No. 13 Ducks hope to play bigger
- No. 7 Penn State, Illinois unsure of QBs ahead of matchup
- No. 16 Wake Forest to face Army at Michie Stadium
- Goff returns to LA with winless Lions to face McVay's Rams
- Rhule and Judge have history as Panthers face Giants
- Army hosts No. 16 Wake Forest, looks to end 2-game skid
- Louisville, Boston College each look to halt 2-game slides
- Kansas tries to right passing game against No. 3 Oklahoma
- Watt, D-Hop face old team when unbeaten Cards host Texans
- No. 4 Alabama wants to keep streak alive vs rival Tennessee
- Formula One foothold growing, series here to stay in USA
- No. 13 Irish and struggling USC renew intersectional rivalry
- Packers sign former Texans outside linebacker Mercilus
- Hurley revamps Arizona State's roster to add toughness
- After Kanter's Tibet comments, Celtics blacked out in China
- No. 12 Ole Miss readies for LSU perhaps without Corral
- Arizona aiming to end losing streak against Washington
- No. 10 Oregon, UCLA clash with bigger goals at risk
- Utah looks to continue Pac-12 success against the Beavers
- Buzz Williams hits reset in third season with Texas A&M
- Garcia to start Game 6 of ALCS for Astros against Red Sox
- Winther takes 1-shot lead after 1st round in Mallorca
- Chiefs visit Titans in 1st meeting since 2019 AFC title game
- Favre fan Heinicke savors chance to play at Lambeau Field
- No. 7 Penn State, Illinois deal with QB injuries
- Raiders look for 2nd straight post-Gruden vs. Eagles
- No. 22 Aztecs turn to Johnson, hope to stop USAF ground game
- Well-rested Falcons head to Miami to face Dolphins
- Panthers' Anderson struggling since contact extension
- Buckner leads Colts into showdown vs. his old 49ers team
- No. 6 Michigan's run game faces stern test vs Northwestern
- Cowboys CB Diggs starring after position switch at Alabama
- Washington St hosts BYU in 1st game since Rolovich's firing
- Hoosiers try to snap losing streak against No. 5 Buckeyes
- It's deja-oof all over again: Bills enter bye with a thud
- Steelers believe momentum is building after a rocky start
- Arkansas gains first preseason hoops ranking since 2007-08
- No. 4 Alabama seeks to extend streak against rival Tennessee
- Missouri rebuilds roster with transfers, talented freshmen